The following are some ideas that I have found helpful in improving the odds of success:
- Spend time upfront fine tuning the selection process.
- Set clear expectations in the first 6, 12 and 18 months.
- Conduct a formal on-boarding process within the first 2 months after appointment.
- Meet on a bi-weekly basis to develop a communications channel.
- Select a mentor/coach to assist with the transition.
- Implement a 360 evaluation process after 12 months on the job.
- Communicate openly and honestly.
- Structure a team effectiveness workshop.
- Evaluate the person's "fit" in the organization and team culture.